Facts About Education in the US
The USA, the most popular destination for international students, has a lot to offer when it comes to education. To allow you learn about its distinctive features, statistics data, as well as its history, we provide you with 10 facts about education in the US.
- Education in the US is taken seriously. Though not as serious as in South Korea, people in the US study a lot. According to statistic data, the US takes the 5th position in the world when it comes to the number of college-degree holders aged 25 to 64. Nevertheless, the same statistic shows that young people in the country are not so focused on the obtaining college degrees. When it comes to the group of 25 to 34-year olds, the US is ranked 12th in the same category. Not bad.
- There are 43% of college degree holders aged 25 to 34 in the US. Though the percentage is lower than in South Korea (64%), it is worth to mention that the US government spends the most on education.
- There are more than 4 million students around the world who prefer to study abroad and the US is considered to be the 31 host of international students. This multicultural country welcomes students from all across the globe, allowing them to study in a diverse multi-cultural environment.
- The US education assessment is largely based on graduation rate. It is worth to mention that the process of graduation is associated with all stages of compulsory education, including even pre-school education. Nevertheless, the commencement is mainly associated with graduation from high school, college or university.
- Though for the last 30 years education system in the US has slipped to 36th position from the 1st in the world, the country has a lot to offer in terms of world-class education. There are 30 of the top 100 best world universities in the US, as well as there are about 4000 other world-class educational institutions.
- Schools in the US are considerably bigger than those in other countries. There is a public school in the US, Arizona State University, which has a population of more than 68,000 students. Nevertheless, the largest one is the University of Phoenix Online. Its population counts more than 380,000 of students! It is 5 times more than in Arizona State University.
- Degrees and diplomas from the US universities and colleges are recognized all around the globe and their graduates are highly sought. Nevertheless, education in the US is associated with very high tuition fees. Such colleges and universities as Vassar College, Sarah Lawrence College, and Columbia University cost more than $40,000 a year. In comparison to such incredibly high tuition fees, most students in the US spend less than $9000 a year for tuition.
- Though education in the US is considered to be quite expensive, those people who have a degree mainly earn 3 times more than those who do not. The average annual earnings of people with high school diploma are $27,915, while those with an advanced degree earn about $74,602 a year.
- Education in the US is often associated with active social life as it offers a wide number of extracurricular activities such as sports. Apart from what YouTube shows, such activities are also helpful when it comes to building such qualities as self-confidence, personal fulfillment, balance, and a strong sense of community.
- Despite the fact that there are countries that show better results when it comes to the highest college retention and completion rates, the US is ranked 14th. Still not bad, agree?